Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Directions

'How we react to and handle events is determined not by the events themselves but by how we view the events, often through the prism of our deeply held irrational beliefs.'


I've finally come to terms with not finding a job soon--not that I've given up, or stopped looking--just that I am no longer waiting to 'settle down' and 'settle back into the US' in order to start on the tasks I've been thinking about for the past two and a half years.

I've figured out that my main problem in 'settling back into the US' is communicating. You ask: Why? Aren't you always meeting new people and talking to them?' Yes, when I'm traveling, I have to talk to people, different people: farmers, herders, hippies, young Europeans out for an adventure. But it's not the type of lingo that goes into trying to find yourself a job, or talking about your professional interests. Being where I am now (graduating, traveling for 2 years, and having no concrete work experience), that question of professional interest BURNS in everyone's mind. To go from a world with no money at all, to a world where money governs everything...is where my communication has gotten stuck.

So here is to my new goals, new directions.

1) BLOGGING
I've decided I need to start writing for an audience again. If I want to work in policy, I need to learn to speak 'USA style' again, speaking so that people here care and listen to what I say. I need to rebuild this blog to share the projects I'm working on, my 'irrational beliefs' (aka my philosophical discoveries), and knowledge related to environmental sustainability, local foods and bikes! And I will be sharing African experiences on bikesinafrica again.

2) Local Foods and Urban Farming
Stemming from my WWOOF experiences in New Zealand and Australia--the newfound awareness that I gained of the importance of food on human health and the environment--I am going to work with local community (wherever that may end up being) groups to address food health and environmental issues. In essence, I want to find a way to apply that awareness at home.

3) Fixing Bikes
Have to find some way to nurse the bike touring withdrawal, right? Besides, I want to become better at bike mechanics

3) Reading about the History of Africa: African leaders, the land, modern development, culture. Maybe even finding African communities. Any suggestions?

4) Learn Arabic

3 comments:

Kriti said...

Check out Martin Meredith's _The Fate of Africa_

leeern said...

hey i'm looking for information on wwoof in new zealand. would appreciate loads if you can drop me a mail at

leeern@naver.com

:) *this is not a spam mail* lolx

Anonymous said...

Welcome back from your Africa trip! I'm so happy you got back safely :] It seems like you had an amazing experience! Can't wait to read more.

It's great that you're going into environmental sustainability as I just did a HUGE project on it and I'm thinking of changing my career path.

Good luck with your job search. You have so much insight from the nonprofessional world that can be very useful! You'll do great!