Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Big Sappy Thank You

With my nine and a half month journey in New Zealand at its end, I cannot leave without dedicating a post to all those who have helped me along the way. Though, ‘helped’ is an understatement. Like an oasis in the desert, these people provided a head over my roof—I mean, a roof over my head, gave me lifts, fed me well, and donated things that I needed to continue my travels. All of that came simply from the kindness of their hearts, and often when I needed it the most…despite my lousy hair, clothes worn way-too-many times, really really wet and muddy boots, short notice, etc…

When I wasn’t working for money, or wandering through the wilderness (‘tramping in the bush’ as kiwis say), I was Wwoofing. I can hardly express my gratitude for the absolute awesomeness of the Wwoof program. If you can believe me, my Wwoof book became my bible. I left it behind once for a week, during which I was very very sad, and since have never let it leave my side. All my Wwoof hosts and the Wwoof NZ Festival gifted me with memorable experiences and improved knowledge of food production, engineering, and life. There’s no doubt that I will be Wwoofing for years to come, wherever I may be.

And of course, thanks to everyone I met along the way. It’s hard to express the impact that everyone had on me. Even those I only met for a few minutes had an effect on my thoughts, like someone making small adjustments to a sculpture, carving out who I am. When I felt lost, they kept me company, gave me faith, and reassured me that I would find my way. There’s nothing like that feeling when someone appears to help you out. There are great great people in this world.

No comments: