Monday, January 01, 2007

in the dark of the night

i'm still suffering a bit from jetlag, so i thought i would be lame and spend new years by myself, sleeping. but then to my surprise, my cellphone rings obnoxiously at 3 in the morning. it was alan fung saying he was 'in the area' at lan kwai fong, and if i wasn't too sleepy, i should join him and his friends in the festivities. i felt pretty awake, so i decided to go out. lan kwai fong was still filled with people and the bars were still blasting music. i saw this guy standing in front of 7 eleven and i didn't quite recognize him, but figured he must be alan because he was the only guy there standing by himself. his face wasn't as long as it used to be, but everything else about him was definitely the same as ever. skinny, talkative, open, friendly, and always laughing and cracking jokes. he was as chill and down to earth as i hoped him to still be. calvin was supposed to be there too, but he stood us up.

we went into one of the small clubs, where he paid for my cover charge. the best thing about having guy friends is that they insist on paying for you. he and his two friends got me a drink. and while they were walking back, a drunk girl hooked her arm around his waist and said some words of affection. hahaha. the music was pretty loud, but we had a nice area to sit and mostly did a lot of laughing and catching up. his friends just came back from exchange in holland, so they gave me pointers to my europe trip. we also danced to a few songs in our seats, or as alan calls it 'shake shake shake' (funny gesture). when the club closed at 4ish, they all walked me home before taking a cab back to their places. the escalators don't run at that time in the morning, so on the way they kept stopping and complaining about how far uphill my place was. it was a nice comic end to the night. i have to admit, though, that my butt/hamstrings have been extremely sore over the past few days, probably from walking up the steep hill everyday.

1 comment:

lily said...

minwah! i've lost my voice in vietnam so i can't call you, even if my cell phone wasn't out of batteries, which it is. i'm glad you had an eventful new years. the first thing i ate after new years was a sticky rice thing off the street wrapped in a leaf. i mean, i bought it off the street, not that i ate it off the street. alright, well, email me if you wanna hang out: lily dot huang at credit-suisse dot commercial.